Friday, February 21, 2014


This blog I follow is doing a week long celebration of A Tale of Two Cities so i am joining in since it is one of my all time favorite books ever! Go check it out!!!!
http://ramblings-janeite.blogspot.com/

  • How were you introduced to A Tale Of Two Cities? 
I grew up knowing of Charles Dickens and his books but it wasn't until a couple years ago when i was made to read ATOTC for school. I fell in love with it and it is now one of my favorite books ever! 
  • Have you read the book, seen a movie adaption, and/or watched/listened to the musical? 
I have read the book, seen the 1980 movie adaption and want to listen to the musical really bad!
  • Who is your favorite character? 
Sydney Carton. He died for the woman he truly loved and her family. And he never tried to take her away from her husband. He accepted her choice and still stayed a part of her life
  • Who is your least favorite character? 
Mme. Defarge. I just cannot stand her! 
  • What's one of your favorite scenes from the book (if you've read it)? 
When Sydney makes the ultimate sacrifice!! It is so sad but very powerful!
  • What's one of your favorite songs from the musical (if you've watched it)? 
I wouldn't know as i have yet to listen/see it :(
  • Share some of your favorite quotes! (book or musical) 
“I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss. I see the lives for which I lay down my life, peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy. I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence. It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.” 

“For you, and for any dear to you, I would do anything. If my career were of that better kind that there was any opportunity or capacity of sacrifice in it, I would embrace any sacrifice for you and for those dear to you. Try to hold me in your mind, at some quiet times, as ardent and sincere in this one thing. The time will come, the time will not be long in coming, when new ties will be formed about you--ties that will bind you yet more tenderly and strongly to the home you so adorn--the dearest ties that will ever grace and gladden you. O Miss Manette, when the little picture of a happy father's face looks up in yours, when you see your own bright beauty springing up anew at your feet, think now and then that there is a man who would give his life, to keep a life you love beside you!” 

“Think now and then that there is a man who would give his life, to keep a life you love beside you.”

“I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul...Since I knew you, I have been troubled by a remorse that I thought would never reproach me again, and have heard whispers from old voices impelling me upward, that I thought were silent for ever. I have had unformed ideas of striving afresh, beginning anew, shaking off sloth and sensuality, and fighting out the abandoned fight. A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing, and leaves the sleeper where he lay down, but I wish you to know that you inspired it.” 

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.”

“And a beautiful world we live in, when it is possible, and when many other such things are possible, and not only possible, but done-- done, see you!-- under that sky there, every day.” 

“Liberty, equality, fraternity, or death; - the last, much the easiest to bestow, O Guillotine!” 
  • What was the last ATOTC-related thing you did/watched/read? 
Last thing i did was read the book. Time to re read it!!!!!!!
  • What character do you think you're the most like?
I think i am more like Sydney. I would do literally do anything to protect those i love, even if that meant i would have to die. 
  • If you could meet any character, who would it be and why?
I would love to meet Sydney (Can you see how much i like him? :)). i would love to ask him what he felt going up the guillotine and what was he thinking of. I would just love to talk to him and ask him everything.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lydia!

    Thanks so much for answering my tag - I enjoyed reading your answers.

    Eva

    ReplyDelete