Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Mouse that Roared

So last month my sister, Miriam and I were in a play production of "The Mouse That Roared". Since I am graduating, and will have a big part in my grad play, "The Music Man", I was given three small roles in TMTR. I was a Hippie, a British Announcer and a Peasant. Miriam however got the lead girl role in TMTR. She played, Gloriana the 12th, Duchess of Grand Fenwick.  Here is the plot:

The tiny (three miles by five miles) European Duchy of Grand Fenwick, supposedly located in the Alps between Switzerland andFrance, proudly retains a pre-industrial economy, dependent almost entirely on making Pinot Grand Fenwick wine. However, an American winery makes a knockoff version, "Pinot Grand Enwick", putting the country on the verge of bankruptcy.
The prime minister decides that their only course of action is to declare war on the United States. Expecting a quick and total defeat (since their standing army is tiny and equipped with bows and arrows), the country confidently expects to rebuild itself through the largesse that the United States bestows on all its vanquished enemies (as it did for Germany through the Marshall Plan at the end of World War II).
Instead, the Duchy defeats the mighty superpower, purely by accident. Landing in New York City, almost completely deserted above ground because of a city-wide disaster drill, the Duchy's invading "army" (composed of the Field Marshal Tully Bascomb, three men-at-arms, and twenty longbowmen) wanders to a top secret government lab and unintentionally captures the "Q-bomb" (a prototype doomsday device that could destroy the world if triggered) and its maker, Dr. Kokintz.
The invaders from Fenwick are sighted by a Civil Defense Squad and are immediately taken to be "men from Mars" when their mail armor is mistaken for reptilian skin. The Secretary of Defense pieces together what has happened (with help from the five lines in his encyclopedia on Grand Fenwick and the Fenwickian flag left behind on a flagpole) and is both ashamed and astonished that the United States was unaware that it had been at war for two months.
With the most powerful bomb in the world now in the smallest country in the world, other countries are quick to react, with the Soviet Union and the United Kingdom offering their support. With the world at the tiny country's mercy, Duchess Gloriana, the leader of Grand Fenwick, lists her terms: all the nuclear weapons of the powerful nations must go through an inspection by impartial scientists and the "Tiny Twenty" (a joke about the "Big Three" Nations) should be formed, a group of twenty small nations so that small nations can get their voices heard as well as large ones. Soon Duchess Gloriana and Tully Bascomb get married, and during the wedding Dr. Kokintz discovers that the bomb is a dud and that the bomb Grand Fenwick used to threaten the world into obedience never had any power whatsoever. However, Dr. Kokintz decides to keep that fact to himself considering that the pretense still furthers the cause of world peace.


It is based off the book "The Mouse that Roared" written by Leonard Wibberley. Our play version was abridged but still contained 99% of that plot
Here are some pictures from behind the scenes :) 

Grand Fenwick flag, a double headed eagle, one saying 'yea' and the other 'nay'. My brother actually made this flag years ago when my older sister when in this very same play :)

My good friend, Brooke, studying backstage

My best friend, Kory played the scientist who made the bomb. She was fantastic! 

Group of girls. Left to right: Hannah, Hope, Lydia, Amanda and Rachel 

Funny faces!!!!!!!!

Lydia Davis, Me, Amanda and Hannah acting crazy!!!!!

My sister, The duchess of Grand Fenwick! 

Kory as Prof. Kokintz! 

I loved my role as a hippie. So much fun!

David as a hippie! I love his costume

Sasha and I backstage

The Script even had a nation anthem for Grand Fenwick and yes...we sang it

Katie and I backstage

We are totally crazy! Don't judge Katie and I

The Grand Duchess (aka my sister, Miriam) and a Hippie (aka me )

Me, Brooke and Katie backstage

My sweet older brother, Zach brought flowers for Miriam and I :)

So that was our hilarious play. Now its my musical "The Music Man" that is next. Feel free to come! Its May 9th and 10th at 7:30 pm at Liberty Baptist Church, Appomattox, Virginia!

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea you lived in Appomattox! Oh, I wish my kids were a little older and we could make the drive more easily -- we live in VA too, not far from DC, so about 3 hours away. I LOVE "The Music Man" and have never seen a live version, so that sounds like a lot of fun! Well, even though we can't be there, break a leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't live in Appomattox. I live in Amelia, which is about an hour from Appomattox. I have seen the movie and am very excited to do this musical. It is coming along very well. Wish you could come too! Thanks!

      Delete